Sunday, March 14, 2010

Cousin Willie's Mass & Corned Beef and Cabbage Parade Day Tradition Continues










Cousin Willie is a 19th Ward Icon- Special Events genius,bartender, singer, community leader, and parish-go-to-guy and beautiful Irish/Italian/Polish wife Kerry have tossed a South Side Irish Parade Day Mass longer than most in attendance have been breathing.

President Obama and Michelle and the kids attended when running for the U.S. Senate, Paul and Sharon Vallas, Sheriffs Sheahan and Dart and no end of great folks took breafast and cheer following a Mass.

Primarily Willie's house was swelled by our massive extended family and friends -Winters, Brennan, Walsh, McNamara, Dibrizio, Helmer, Demateo, Diana, Morland, and Hickey members by the butt and boatload.

Though the Parade ended this tradition continued.

Father Jim Hennighan reminded one and all about our granparents. My grandmother Nora Sullivan left Cahirciveen, County Kerry at the age of thirteen and knowing only Irish after a Wake was held for her.

The Irish who emigrated to America rarely returned; thus, the child died for all intents and purposes as she crossed the waters.

My cousin from Castleisland County Kerry Robbie O'Connell joined us. He is the one wearing the Irish Bling of Office as the Mayor of the County Kerry Council.

Willie and his brothers John and Mark made more than 100 pounds of corned beef made by Limerick Mike at County Fair cabbage, spuds, carrots, onions and tables full of Soda Bread. I used to make the bacon and sausages, but told to bring cookies (which I did) but have my nose out of joint because my kitchen skills were not wanted, evidently. Irish Alzheimers - I forget everything,but my hurt feelings.

We had dancing and music - Maura Dalton Winters is my nephew Brendan's wife and was an All Ireland Dancing Champion who now teaches Steps for Cross-Keys.

There were scores of babies and as a typical Hickey/Winters Baby Sap, I had a ball.

Thank you Willie and Kerry Winters



Against the demon snares of sin,
The vice that gives temptation force,
The natural lusts that war within,
The hostile men that mar my course;
Or few or many, far or nigh,
In every place and in all hours,
Against their fierce hostility,
I bind to me these holy powers.

Against all Satan's spells and wiles,
Against false words of heresy,
Against the knowledge that defiles,
Against the heart's idolatry,Christ be with me, Christ within me,
Christ behind me, Christ before me,
Christ beside me, Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort and restore me.
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ in quiet, Christ in danger,
Christ in hearts of all that love me,
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.

No comments: